On the 1st July 2017 Recreational Services began working in partnership with Gisborne District Council to provide all maintenance services for recreation and community amenities within Gisborne and the surrounding areas.
The Gisborne district is located in the north-eastern corner of the central North Island and is also referred to as the East Cape, East Coast, Eastland region and Tairāwhiti. Gisborne is the easternmost city in New Zealand. It is the largest district council in the North Island, and covers 8386 square kilometres of land with 1855 kilometres of local roads. The population of the Gisborne region is 43,000.
Titirangi (Kaiti Hill) overlooks the city and you can view Poverty Bay and the surrounding rural areas. The white cliff headland of Young Nick’s Head is visible from the city. The Māori name for the cliffs is Te Kurī-ā-Paoa, meaning The Dog of Paoa. Gisborne is also known as the city of rivers. The Taruheru and Waimata Rivers join to form the 1200 metre Turanganui River - the shortest river in the country. Mount Hikurangi is the fifth highest mountain in the North Island, but the highest non-volcanic peak. Hikurangi is the first mountain in the world to see the sun.
Services We Provide:
Maintenance services had previously been carried out through various formal and informal contracts. These contracts have been combined to enable clearer expectations on performance and quality improvement of the services delivered to the community. We will look after these services in Gisborne, and localised areas such as Rere reserves, and will also provide other specialist services to sportsgrounds across the whole district.
- mowing reserves, sportsgrounds, turf maintenance, specialist turf advisor
- tree inspection and maintenance
- playground inspections and maintenance
- public toilets cleaning and repairs
- furniture, fixtures, fences maintenance
- BBQ, water feature maintenance
- litter bin management
- buildings, monuments, art and structures maintenance
- CBD (includes flags, pavement washing, litter pick up
- beach clean-up, pond cleaning
- pontoons, jetties, car parks
- lighting, mechanical, electrical services
- tracks, walkways, drains
- camping operations